Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: henry taylor (tortolitascom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 11:38:35 PDT

Art is what we humans developed to mediate our experience. It is an
essential component of human ecology and the engine of culture.

Specifically art offers a powerful way for an individual or a group to
have a say in the construction of the real world and the things in it.

Through that, Art shapes community or personal identity and
of proposes questions which science must ultimately answer.

The core of this perspective on art is this:
Literally make as much of your world as you can and make it the way you
want it to be with the greatest care and attention you can muster. Collect
with equal care.

SIMPLY:
ART IS WHAT YOU MAKE WITH CARE AND ATTENTION AND WHAT YOU COLLECT WITH
EQUAL CARE AND ATTENTION. ART IS WHAT YOU CHOOSE IT TO BE. WHAT EVER YOU
EXPERIENCE AND KNOW IN LIFE DEPENDS ON YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH ART.

EVEN MORE SIMPLY
(Just 6 words of one syllable each):
MAN MAKES ART. ART MAKES MAN.

BUT.

As often as not, art and enjoyment relys on elaboration, recursion and
tangents. Thus, encountering each other, Larry and I play with Baroque
sensibility with lots of words and flourishes - as we are wont.

Just tell me how small you need your explanation and I'll be happy to cut
everything up into bite-sized pieces. I teach Kindergarten (and I just
renewed my contract!). For the record I don't think I can get any more
concise than this: ART IS ART. And from that I suspect you can see the
problem of putting things as simply as possible.

Even when I'm being "brief" I manage to wander, huh?
wink

-henry
who will no doubt provide more delphic "Delphic ramblings"
for you to read in short order)

> I have never read such delphic ramblings as this
> response. Can you put this in simple terms. Is this
> some useless thesis that reeks of incessant cockalorum
> on your part. Your writing is certainly on a
> different plateau full of "plein air" if you ask me.

---