AP Studio teachers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 20:38:46 PDT

I was wondering how you feel about the changes to the portfolio
requirements? At first I was excited that, at least I perceived, the
requirements were a little more open. But I had trouble this year.
For example. My best student is very strong in printmaking so we went for
the 2-D portfolio. But then she started to really blossom in 3-D work. She
didn't have enough for the 3-d portfolio and I kept pushing for the 2-d
work. I'm wondering now, if I 'stepped" on some opportunities.
I don't have enough kids in AP to have 3 separate classes. In fact , my AP
class for next year is very small. I'm trying now to devise individual plans
according to their strengths to meet the portfolios. But I'm questioning. Is
it worth it? Do I not provide some other experiences, because there is not
enough time in the schedule to meet the requirements.
I really hate getting narrow and defined at the high school level. I was
never sure in the first place why there is an AP Studio offering.
Anyone one else doubting like I?

Patty

---