Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 20:09:11 PDT

maybe not dead but suffering
suffering from the same thing the whole world is suffering from
   overload
like 150 cable channels to choose from and still nothing to see
or a whole aisle of cereals how many cereals or for that matter bottled
waters do we need?
we make our own CD's our DVD's come with 'extra' footage we listen to
books we talk in initials
and messages - phones, cell phones, faxes, voice mail, e-mail, beepers, and
lists on top of lists (and please do not send me one more memo on
fluorescent colored paper that makes me think more about what the color
means than the message)
we can read or write anything we want on the internet and nobody is quite
sure what is valid.

What's my point?
I think this whole back and forth on the list about art ed theories and
practices is just because we don't know quite how to decipher the
bombardment of imagery, how to find a truth anymore, let alone teach our
young ones how. Some of "the core" is at stake. The elements and principles
don't help me much with mendacity.

I think we are getting hung up in what to expose , what to select, and what
to suppose to teach in art. Instead of how to suppose, how to select, and
how to expose and then transform and transcend.
What is the best process for that? teaching how to see...
and learning what is too much and allowing the time and freedom to explore a
personal expression even if it doesn't look like art.

Patty

---