Re: Is art education dead?

---------

From: Esa Tipton (tmtartseducation_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 06:19:13 PDT

--- Christa Wise <cwise@remc7.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> Geez, Henry and Patty. You guys need a vacation!

Since Henry is just returning from vacation, I wonder
what the real meaning of this kind of comment is? Or
does the fact that Patty longs for vacation the way I
long for the sea, make our ideas and opinions without
either any less valid or important? Or does it imply
that if people were more rested they wouldn't say what
they are saying? Is this more of "either/or thinking"
that drives the question itself?

I thank both Patty and Henry from reframing previous
comments about art education, what is dead or not
dead, what is alive or not flourishing. As Larry adds,
and others have queried, we can't make blanket
generalizations about one uniformity of thought or
practice. We need to allow multiple levels of thinking
and doing to take their place with new developments.
Postmodernism may not have come to Larry's classroom
but does that mean that meaningful art experiences
aren't happening, as he rightly asks.

In other words, art education is not either dead or
not dead. It's both dead and alive, which is also
strangely in fact how Henry ended his post. We need
new thinking, not people telling other people what and
how and how not to think. Let's bring ideas into the
discussion, not dismissals.
Teresa