Re: about .com site with art/artist quotes :)

---------

From: linda (lwoods_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 06:09:53 PDT

Thanks for these quotes. Last year I researched artists' quotes and
quotes about creativity on various quote websites. I typed them all up,
using about an 18 point font, cut them out individually as long strips,
mounted them on fadeless paper, so as to create borders between them,
laminated them, and then stuck them up ALL over my room...in unexpected
places, on the door, inside cabinets, above cabinets, over the chalk
board, on the front edges of shelves...everywhere! At the beginning of
the year, I had kids go in pairs all around the room for 15 minutes. THey
were to discuss what they were seeing and reading and seeing all around
the room. (I also have all sorts of cut up pictures from Illustrators'
annuals, art history resources, magazines, etc. that accompany the art
elements and principals posters that are pasted to all of my high cabinet
doors around the room.) After 15 minutes, they were to share with the
group, a quote and a photo, print, etc. that struck them as a standout for
some reason. Something that jogged their thinking or perceptions a bit,
and they were to say what it was about the quote or print that they found
interesting. It was a good ice breaker and something I should probably do
more often next year. So often, we work so hard to put up displays in our
room that we hope they will internalize through osmosis. I don't think we
can count on osmosis...the world is too busy, and in art they are too
hyperfocused on DOING to absorb little quotes stuck up all over the place.
 We have to make them stop and observe...it's part of our jobs!

---