Re: Didaction and constructivism

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 21:32:49 PDT

Teresa says
> If the teacher doesn't have a knowledge base, they
> cannot be a guide and resource. The point is the same
> from both of us. We need to open up the learning
> structure to let students design their own learning
> processes and outcomes. Didaction actually takes this
> one step further and does not tie learning to
> criterion-referenced norms and outcomes. This is true
> revolution in education!

judging by the recent conversations on student teachers, I would say there
is some lack in the knowledge base. I don't see a lot of new stuff coming
from the new teachers other than fluff and candy rewards.
The responsibility is on the universities and institutions to be on or ahead
of the game. I am in a public school. It's a pretty good district, with
pretty good kids. But every year a number of the new teachers throw up
their hands and leave.
'I never knew it would be this hard' is what they say.

The knowledge base starts in the elementary and secondary systems. And I
truly believe we have effectively destroyed those systems. I think the only
thing kids have learned from OUR back and forth on teaching methods , is how
to manipulate and slide by
And they get out of high school with no knowledge base , and get out of
college with no knowledge base and then get into the real world and get
slapped in the head.

Administrations scramble to get something that looks good on paper, and we
scramble to try to fulfill and everything looks good on paper, yet...
FACADE
I look around my world and everything is facade
if you want to talk about VACE then let's talk about facade

Patty
who is certainly, positively ready for summer vacation

---