Re: speaking of "Sequential Learning..."

---------

Artystyc3_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 19:39:29 PDT

lseiler@ez-net.com writes:

> http://www.accd.edu/sac/psychol/2301.090/sequentlearn.htm

Larry-
       I read it and found it interesting and articulate. However I fail to
see any "new"
revelations in the potential to successfully change the learning process to
enhance memory. I think we all agree that there are good/bad teachers, as
well as good/bad
students. The basics are-and always have been:
                         a) A willingness to learn on the part of the student
                         b) A well planned, sequential, multi-learning style
approach in
                              teaching
                         c) A controlled but stimulating environment
                         d) And a qualified, positive, encouraging instructor
  It all hinges on the multiple learning style approach. Since we must
consider the
auditory learner, the kinesthetic learner, the visual learner, etc. We
purposefully
make these connections by using multiple styles that address the many ways
people learn.The more they "own " and contribute to the process, the more
they will
remember. Yet, most of the instruction that goes on is auditory alone, and
then we wonder why THEY dont get it. The more we recognize our responsibility
to correct bad instruction, the more will be done to improve the learning
potential. How many
classes do you remember that were boring as hell and a pleasure to forget. I
watched
our students clean out their lockers and toss notebooks, novels, notecards,
and legal pads in the trash like a bad lunch. But, I rarley see them throw
out projects they have invested themselves in and are proud of. If we could
get a handle on ownership in the learning process-that would be progress.
Patti in Fl.

---