Re: Student teacher

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 19:14:07 PDT

Dear Sandy,

     By what I've read on this list, you would make an awesome mentor
teacher. I believe student teachers need to be with cooperating teachers
who are enthusiastic, who love their jobs, work well with colleagues, and
have figured out how to manage time so that they have a manageable stress
level. A cooperating teacher needs to be able to give up a certain amount
of power, so that the student teacher can get the experience of what it
 would be like if they had their own classroom. On the other hand a co-op
needs to know when the student teacher wants or needs more support. We've
 all said that we've learned the most about being a teacher, through actual
teaching, so that's what I like to let my student teachers do, as much as
possible, from the planning and teaching to the assessment and display (of
 course I help all along the way as much or as little as seems necessary).
The only thing I make a student teacher do "just like me" is my discipline
system, because I think it needs to be consistent. I like to do the lessons
 right along with my students as they are being taught by the student
teacher. That way I know first hand what the students are probably
experiencing, it helps when I critique.

 Anyway, I've rambled long enough. I've had three student teachers, all
vastly different. I've learned a lot from them, and I'd like to think
they've learned from me.

 I recommend being a cooperating teacher, remember someone did the same for
you. Oh, I taught for eight years before I took a student teacher.

 Leah

qualified to do this?

---