PBS:Art 21

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 12:04:13 PDT

I think I previously conveyed some negative attitude about this program.
What I was really trying to say is, that the series needs careful
preparation by the teacher. There are lots of questions , attitudes, and
ideas to be explored through this series.
I'm going to use the themes as preparation for my AP kids to develop their
Concentrations next year.

Thanks Kaye, for the reminder of the Davis course. I'm planning on taking
advantage.

I'd like to remind this list of Christopher Anderson. A few months ago he
offered to this list his library of tapes--
http://www.artinres.com
His artists may not be as sophisticated as the Art 21 group, but they are
working artists... people that are following their bliss. In most cases his
tapes show a process. I have blindly shown several of his tapes to my
classes and the kids have responded positively. Kids want to see something
that they can really do, or hope to do. Chris' tape on Dawson Kellog, a
glass blower, enthralled my students.

Although I like much about the Art 21 series, sometimes I feel I need to
hold back a bit on concept and concentrate a little bit more on the best
process to convey a concept. I really think kids need to explore as many
avenues as possible to convey a message, before they are pushed into the
message. And our job is to give proper instruction in technique, give the
opportunity for personal expression, and hope that the student finds that
long journey to conveying the message.

Patty

---