Student teachers...

---------

From: Kevan Nitzberg (knitzber_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 02 2002 - 06:23:05 PDT

Not all student teachers or student teaching programs are created equal by
any stretch of the imagination. Your intuitive sense that care might be
needed here is right on the mark, Larry. I have had experience at both ends
of the spectrum. Perhaps most telling is how much supervision is afforded
to the student teacher from the school(s) that they come from. The better
programs have weekly visits by the supervisor who come and observe the
teacher and also talk to you as the host instructor. Other programs that I
have been involved with will send a letter, then an initial meeting with the
student teachers occurs and a final one time visit by the supervisor in
charge takes place. You end up feeling quite sorry for the student teacher
involved and really concerned about what your own students are being exposed
to.

Having said that, it really is important for prospective students to be able
to get their feet wet in a real school experience, so I would encourage art
instructors to make those experiences possible as often as they can. Just
be aware that you may need to be a great deal more active in some scenarios
than others depending on the programs that they are coming from.

Good luck!

Kevan

---