Re: Light Wave 3D

---------

From: Robert Fromme (rfromme_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jan 03 1904 - 19:31:43 PDT

on 6/1/02 12:50 PM, Melissasmi@aol.com at Melissasmi@aol.com wrote:

> Any one have experience using Light Wave 3D computer animation program? I
> ran a search in the archives and came up empty. I have been assigned to
> teach a computer art class next year and this is the program used. Thanks
> for your help.
> Melissa

Melissa,

We use Lightwave 7.0 for our advanced students. Cinema 4D XL is used for
those students who are new to animation. You probably had poor luck finding
Lightwave users in the Artsednet list because few Art Departments have the
resources to purchase top-of-the-line hardware and software, as well as the
commitment to fund an instructor who has training in the course content.
Honestly, I have noticed that the vast majority of traditional visual arts
instructors and administrators are in the dark when it comes to Digital
Graphics, Videography and 3D animation. It will take another ten years
before our educational system will begin to catch up with the real-world
needs in this area.

Keep in mind that the software, (NewTek's Lightwave) will require a very
fast processor, gobs of memory, and substantial storage space for the
rendered clips. Next, you will need to have photoshop or similar image
editing application in order to work with the surfaces and textures for your
3D models. Also, the rendered clips will need to be turned into a finished
animation, so video editing software such as Final Cut Pro or Premier will
be required to complete the project. Also, don't forget the audio part of
the process. You will need some way for the students to develop copyright
free background music and edit sound for the projects. In other words,
Lightwave is only one part of a much larger process in creative 3D
Animaiton. Good luck.

Bob Fromme BFA, MA, MFA

Because of a lack of support for my course content, I am not part of the
traditional the Art Department in our school. I teach Digital Graphics and
Animation for the Technology Application Department and Animation I, II,
III for the Career and Technology Education Department.
East Central High School
San Antonio, TX

---