Re: Student teacher

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aiheineman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 13:18:48 PDT

Dear Larry and Sandy,

    Being a cooperating teacher is an awesome, exciting, daunting, time
consuming and very rewarding experience! I have had 34 student teachers from
The Ohio State University over the course of my 35 year teaching career. (In
the 1970's and 1980's I sometimes had 2 student teachers a year, since they
were with me for only 5 weeks.) The university prepared them well on campus
and, for the most part, were attentive to the needs of the students "out in
the field," as the participating schools are known. Each student teacher is
as individual as your students are. My experiences with student teachers
have always been positive and they have made me a better teacher. It is
very important that you are flexible and interested in nurturing a future
teacher. I still have on going contacts with some of my former student
teachers. One very special one will take over my position when I retire
June 7 and I am so glad my students will be in capable hands.
    Go for it! Please feel welcome to ask me for any specific
recommendations and insights.

                    Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus
                    FIVE days to retirement!!!

 So...my question to those of you that have worked with student
 teachers...(I've not after about 11 full time years teaching)... do they
 show up at your doorstep prepared with some kind of curriculum that the
 university ed departments have prepared them for; or, as stray pups lost
 that need help to find their way? hahaha....you know what I mean; ...I
too am curious what to expect. Thanks....

> Larry

---