Re: Student teacher

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 01 2002 - 07:15:03 PDT

About a month ago, the state superintendent paid our small NE Wisconsin
school a visit. She has herself a background teaching music/band so has
some understanding then of the value of arts in the schools. Now...that's
rather unique, don't you think!

Our superintendent made sure to drop in with her, and we had a good chat.
It was a pleasure meeting her. She evidently liked what she saw...and I
received a letter from her a couple weeks later. She asked if I had student
teachers before, for which I said I had not. Then turned to my supe' and
asked if arrangements for such could not be made. I responded with some
enthusiasm...knowing it would be good for our school which struggles to
survive in the big picture of state monies, etc;

Then, I started thinking about it. I'll bet this will be some work and
challenge in a K-12 environment! Plus, I have somewhat an intuitive nature
in my teaching process...that is, able to shoot from the hip with the
unexpected's, go with the flow, adjust, etc; I imagine it will force me to
have to provide more "rigid" curriculum guidelines for a student
teacher...but overall in the end I suppose something positive will come out
of it for all involved. First we'll see if a student teacher actually comes
our way or not.

So...my question to those of you that have worked with student
teachers...(I've not after about 11 full time years teaching)... do they
show up at your doorstep prepared with some kind of curriculum that the
university ed departments have prepared them for; or, as stray pups lost
that need help to find their way? hahaha....you know what I mean; ...I too
am curious what to expect. Thanks....

Larry

---