Re: Painting for jr/sr high beginners

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 21:19:57 PDT

I have students create a color wheel on a 12" design circle. Divide into 6
sections (30degrees = Math!). I then give students a worksheet that has a
30degree angle drawn on it. In this section they are to draw 1 large shape
(pure color), 5 areas for tints, 5 areas for shades, and one area for
neutral gray. Once I have approved their design (sometimes it helps for them
to fold the section in half so their design is symmetrical) they trace it
onto their design circle 6 times. The goal is to mix the same values in each
color.
~Michal

> << I'm looking for ideas for an intro-type painting class dealing with
> tempera, watercolor, and acrylic painting for jr and sr high students.
What
> type of progression would you follow, and what successful projects have
you
> done? Also, how do you best guard against wasted materials? Thanks so
much
> for your input!!

---