Re: scrimshaw

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 20:08:39 PDT

I can't remember if I've already talked about this, but I got all excited
about carving bone. I finally found a cow shank bone--grocery stores
don't carry real carcasses any more--just boxes of parts. Get the long
leg part with the small hole--denser bone. Scrape and clean and then soak
with clorax and detergent for several hours--repeat as necessary. If
there are any parts with porus material, file it away or discard. Then
rinse carefully and you have a great material. It's fairly easy to carve,
especially with a dremel tool and really shows fine detail. Then you can
polish it on a polishing wheel with white diamond and it becomes really
lusterous--looks like it's varnished. I carved a little fishook pendant
and a small hand with a flexible arm--lots of little wrinkles just like
me! Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #