Re: any more ideas for plaster of paris?

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 10:50:24 PDT

Some things I have done are-
Knd. Bone relief fossils- It didn't work out to well. My bright idea was to use
milkbones ( dog biscuits) - The students placed them into a paint cup with sand
in it then poured the plaster over, then next class we pulled the MOLDY biscuits
out. and it left a great impression. ( but MOLDY.) If I did it again, i would
press the
milkbones into a plasticene slab and have them decorate the the bone area by
incising using a toothpick. The thing is my plasticene is so old, it takes a
long time of manipulating and warm hands to get it pliable.Not good for the K's
to do.
I also did Aztec artifacts, but could be done for pre Columbian , etc. Again,
used the plasticene to design the image or artiface, and pour the plaster into
the plasticene molds. I can give more details if needed. I haven't tried, but
want to sometime, the plaster in the baggie, where each student mixes the plaster
in a baggie, work it with the hands and let it dry to create an animal shape (
abstract of course<>!)
The Axtec artifacts are no muss or fuss. We paint them gold and mount on scrap
mat board.
Betsy