Paster project idea --and comprehensive arts

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 06:06:23 PDT

Never miss an opportunity to thank a teacher!

How about sand casting....make impression in sand and pour in the
plaster....
allow to dry. You can get some great earth scapes....might be a neat thing
to do with science too --interdisciplinary --like with erosion? or
something....
Or with impressions of gadgets? (Nevelson sort of influence?..this reminds
me of a project one of our elementary teachers did)

Thank you Lima City Schools for giving me this great opportunity to thank
Mrs Hines....my elementary art teacher...This is what I wrote for a "dance'
we did about a teacher who made a difference in our lives...and we danced
like nobody was watching.

"I dreamed I saw Mrs. Hines. She looked just the same as I remembered
her--her silky white hair pulled back in a bun. We were in that same
elementry art room ---and this time I was showing her all of the things I
had made. I wished I had told her long ago what a difference she made in my
life. As the dream was ending, she pointed to the ceramic suns I had made
and reminded me of the sand cast sun from my fourth grade experience"

We never made the suns---but she told me how she had made them --I just
remembered.and I fabricated a bit (because my suns are in my kitchen).

I was part of this performance -- Susan Costello
(http://www.innerart.com/SPDT/index.html) did a beautiful job combining all
of our stories...and we all did our dances for our teacher. We did three
movements....mine was showing her hair back in a bun....showing me how to
make a diagram figure from anture---and then me making it myself....then her
pointing up toward the suns....anyone in the area of Ohio should really
contact them if you have the funds for this kind of interdisciplinary
projects (dance-music-literature-drama all rolled into one).

Link is also on my comprehensive arts page:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/comparts.htm

---