Re: terrified of art cart

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 21:02:55 PDT

I try not to allow students up unless absolutely necessary. I usually pass
out supplies while I am giving history or background information or having
discussions. If I do use a helper, I will look at the helper list - seems
every elementary teacher has them posted somewhere! I usually have the
office person or paper passer help. By the time I get supplies passed out we
are ready to begin our lesson. Usually, I will then demo, then have the kids
work with me. I try to not let them have too much freedom, so if it is a
fairly complex lesson I will let them work on one section at a time (this
slows down those speedy "get-it-done" types. Ex. They may draw and color
line patterns inside their borders. If they finish they will have to wait
for the rest of the class to finish up before moving onto the center part of
the artwork.
*L* No, my centers have never fallen off the cart - due to the board nailed
to the top of my cart that keeps things from sliding off. My pencil cup fell
off numerous times tho last year when the board broke. I made a BIG deal
about it, and my principal called our maintence guys over to fix it ASAP.
You really just need to start small (I suggest drawing lessons to begin
with - minimal supplies w/maximum student "on-task" time) while you get a
feel for your cart, students, classroom teachers, etc. and then you'll be
ready to tackle clay! *L*
~Michal

> >I'm the one who posted my cart on my site. I will be your POSITIVE
> >experience! and remember, a cart is
> >only a teaching situation - the lessons don't change, nor do the kids!
:-)
> >~Michal
> >http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
>
> Thank you Michal and others for your replies. I just really needed to hear
> some positive stuff...(Michal, I checked out your webpage; kudos on your
> organized art cart and centers) I have this horrible image of all those
> containers falling off the cart while wheeling over to a classroom. Hope
> that's never happened--or will happen.Is there a special way you pass out
> materials or do you have certain helpers each class period? Do you give
> directions/intro and then pass out? Or do it while you're talking? What's
> worked best?

---