terrified of art cart

---------

From: Caryn Kim (artsy1234_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 18:24:44 PDT

Hello to all,

Although I have been hired by my county as an "early-hire," I am in the
process of interviewing with various principals to see where there is a good
match and what elem. school I will be in. I have the sinking feeling that
most schools lack rooms and only have art carts. I finished a year in an art
room and have no idea how to go about teaching on a cart. I just spent an
hour reading over the artsednet archives gleaning as much as I could about
teaching with art carts---not an overall positive feeling. Most of you did
not like working on art carts, to say the least. However, if another opening
with a room is not possible, I will have to work with a cart. Hey, I'm
flexible. What I can't figure out are things like classroom management, art
prints? ( I guess overhead sheets would be most practical), kids names, and
especially what to do the first day of school or whenever the first time I
teach art. Do you follow each classroom's rules or do you set up your own
art rules on the first day? Have you had times where you kids weren't
following directions and needed to stop? And are there any art cart teachers
who had a POSITIVE Experience or at least not a horrendous one? I know there
are a gazillion problems with lack of storage, possibly disagreeable
teachers, lack of time; I know I just got to deal. I just want a better
picture in my mind of what I could do to make things easier and run more
smoothly. It's kinda disappointing actually; I had all these thoughts of
how to arrange my "room" and do all these nifty things; now ??? Oh, well.
Flexible, flexible.
thank you.
caryn