Re: my thoughts on art - Interdisciplinary ideas?

---------

From: pgstephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 09:47:24 PDT

May I interject information about a recent national school reform
initiative funded by the J. Paul Getty Trust and the Walter Annenberg
Foundation called Transforming Education through the Arts (TETAC)? For
those of you not familiar with this project, it was a five-year program
that sought to place art at the core of learning in 35 schools across
the USA.

I was fortunate to work as a mentor in this program for three years
before returning to my own classroom where a very supportive principal
seeks to replicate the approach. FYI ... my school is Title I and at
last count had 23 languages. DBAE not only works, it works well in this
environment.

Back to TETAC...
One of the components of TETAC was the development and maintenance of
art-based units of study. Teachers in the 35 schools were provided
ongoing training and many developed lessons or units of study. At the
North Texas site, Nancy Walkup and I actually taught a semester-long
graduate course to teams of teachers from our six participating
schools. The course focused upon keeping art meaningful and central to
learning. The teams wrote art-based units of study.

Nancy served as the committee chair for the TETAC curriculum task
force. As such, she has had guidelines posted to the NTIEVA website
that can assist anyone with writing comprehensive units of study.

Now, if I may toot a different horn. Nancy and I have co-authored a
book titled "Bridging the Curriculum through Art" that is available
through Crystal Productions. The book has a chapter with step-by-step
instructions for writing art-based lessons and units of study that reach
across the subject areas. The balance of the book is divided into
chapters dedicated to activities that can be incorporated into lessons
or units.

From Texas,
Pam

Maybe some of you have
> good ideas you have done with core subjects. I know many schools have the
> attitude it is only art

---