Re: Unfinished work

---------

From: Sue Freeland (sudz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:40:34 PDT

Gelato
I sympathize with the work not being done in class however in a local high
school the students are expected to do a lot of their work at home. My own
daughter who is going to an art college in the fall used to work late at
night and weekends and would not tolerate any input from me except as
feedback after it is done and I've learned not to say too much. Anything
positive is brushed aside as what I have to say as a parent to be nice, and
any constructive comments could result in the destruction of the piece and a
total restart of the project!
As for the monsters in the back of your class maybe showing students what
they have for a grade so far or an individual critique of their portfolios
might get them on track. Your attention to the ones working might encourage
others to work for your attention. Sometimes I'll make up an errand or need
to pick someone to help me and mention that it needs to be someone who is
well along in their project, often it's the ones who aren't working who
raise their hands and I'll come over to see what they've done and if it's
not enough I say so and ask for someone else.
Good luck!
Sue