my thoughts on art - Interdisciplinary ideas?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 08:30:43 PDT

Carolyn asked me this important question.....and I feel I must answer it
again.

Last year I used how great THOU ART....but since my "mission" is over
now....(laugh out loud now all who I have talked to --and know that I am
just fine).

Art is part of the whole curriculum.

If you think about it we really are the curriculum...so in a sense....we are
the top of the hierarchy (it ok for us to think that -- we can all have
secrets)....In art --there is science ...certainly math (we use math that
follows us for a lifetime)...and literature ties in....social studies you
bet.
Curt said much of that....But we can also work to teach life skills that are
not fostered in the core curriculum as well....working together...accepting
others ideas --accepting individual differences (goodness we wouldn't want
there work to all look alike now would we?).

Kimberly reminded me about art integration in science....Why don't we think
about ways we can integrate art across the curriculum --working together
with core teachers more....finding out more what they teach.

It would be nice to get some interdisciplinary things going on this list.
Working in collaboration with Kimberly is a start. Maybe some of you have
good ideas you have done with core subjects. I know many schools have the
attitude it is only art....well.....the more we get it into other areas the
better. Then come to use them to learn the Fine Art as we have skills that
only we can teach.

This is not an original idea ---but maybe on worth pursuing this summer.
Interdisciplinary units has always bee an interest of mine.

---