Re: a typical student question

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 08:35:55 PDT

> Aust ArtClasses <austart@bryanisd.org>
> wrote and I snipped (deleted portions
> of her original letter) a bit:
>
> > "Why do I need to take art,
> > I am not going to be an
> > artist, it will not
> > help me in the future."

And I sniped Curt's response.... What great responses already! I also
include that they make aesthetic choices everyday. I tell them that when I
overhear them say things like "Check out this CD cover", or "Does this shirt
go with this jacket?" that they are using skills learned in art. We discuss
how some colors do not work well together, and how others go with
everything. I then lead the conversation to ask how many of them have "art"
on the wall at home (even if it is Wal-Mart art!). They will use their art
skills throughout their lives, and if they want people to think they have
taste then they need to use those skills! :-)
~Michal

---