Discipline Based Art Education (Administrators too)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 23:09:29 PDT

I am so sorry....a new Getty list member did not know what DBAE was--I used
it as an example because it was the first acronym that popped into my head.

Discipline Based Art Education is the teaching of Art as a valued academic
subject through focusing on all of Art's Disciplines in the teaching
process..... Art Aesthetics, Art History, Art Production, and Art Criticism.
Students, who are taught Art in this manner, consistent with the Getty
Foundation for the Arts Suggested Curriculum Standards, receive a well
rounded background in and appreciation for the Arts (I copied this
definition from: http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/8025/ )

Here are some Getty links:
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/Resources/Sampler/index.html
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/Read/Liata/index.html
http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/Read/Newsletters/o11dbae.html

There are a lot more topics on the Getty site...Just enter Discipline Based
Art
Education into the search.

Dear Administrators:
I am using this as "Insurance" that none of the words I say on this Getty
ArtsEdTalk list come back to haunt me again. I have printed off my posts you
may have found questionable this evening....and mailing them to someone I
know I can trust to keep them secret. We have Freedom of Speech in our
country. Does this look paranoid to you? I think not....It looks
logical...and practical--as you have read my posts in the past (you have
told us-staff-- several times via e-mail that you read our mail). Thank you
for understanding. Now I can put everything behind me as I am sure you will,
too.

While this is intended for my administrators....I think all art teachers can
learn something from my mistake this evening....If we make it known we
subscribe ...We may be held responsible for anything and everything we have
said. I am glad two very caring Getty list members wrote tonight so I would
have a good reason to post this.

We can take much better care of ourselves if you (administrators) would be
held more accountable for your actions and for what you have said. I am not
vindictive -- But we do need to protect ourselves (Thank you Craig Roland
for telling me to take care of myself --That was good advice for all of us).
I may not have witnesses for what you (administrators) said....but can you
say "As God as My Witness"? No, this is not a threat....If you take it that
way --then that is your problem. I am no threat to your position. I just
want security for mine.

Now back to my list friends:
Don't be alarmed from this.....I am fine. Just taking care of me. I should
be my cheery self again tomorrow morning...and will scroll right on by all
of my posts...and will chuckle at my stupidity...Don't I always tell my kids
to "pay attention!"...and look what I did! Groan.....

---