Re: a typical student question

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 14:58:10 PDT

Jackie
I think it is wonderful that your district requires Fine Arts. I wish more
districts would follow suit , but administrators like the children do not
fully appreciate or understand the total importance of Art in education.
Please let me add that it is not all admins. , but let me just say we sure
have out work cut our for us as far as advocacy. And I do spend plenty time
on that aspect at school.
Just as you mention , not all will be artists. I tell students on day 1 that
I do not expect all of them to be Picasso, but to give me their best effort ,
not second best.
In my letter to parents at the introduction of art class( and that is every 6
weeks!) I do talk about H.O.T.S, but also try to impress on them and their
children all the connections art has to all areas of education and life
itself! I guess you could say awareness training ( sort of speak) is very
important to me . I want them to increase their intellectual , perceptual and
artistic awareness , so they will continue to have art as a part of their life
and pass it to others around them. It is very important to me that they are
life - long learners of art. I try to plant some seeds.
MaryB

Aust ArtClasses wrote:

> Why do I need to take art, I am not going to be an artist, it will not
> help me in the future.
> I have this question asked several times a year, especially at first when
> students realize they are going to be doing something in this class. My
> response is usually this:
> Not everyone will come out of this class knowing how to draw, paint,
> sculpt, etc. or even enjoy any of these. What all students will learn
> hopefully from this class is how to solve problems using High Order
> Thinking Skills.

---