summer reading

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:32:02 PDT

Summer reading:

I have recommended Chiam Potok: "My Name is Asher Lev" (now in soft
cover by Random House) to many many people and everyone responds
saying it touched them in some way. I have read it 3 times and now
have my own copy. It is a memorable read, and a good choice as a
possible art gift.

This is an intuitively sensitive novel about the development of a
child art prodigy, his awareness of his gift, and how he eventually
uses it to interpret his conflict with Judaism and Christianity. Some
extremely thoughtful passages where the young Asher apprentices to an
older experienced artist. Many insightful learnings. One would think
the author was intimately involved with the process of being a
painter himself.

By the same author is "The gift of Asher Lev", which did not speak to
me quite the same way, possibly because I read the former first. Find
them both in your public library.

christene in nova scotia

---