Re: on the plus side of seating charts

---------

From: Susan Bennett (sbennett_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 07:36:19 PDT

I agree on seating charts with the elelmentary. I probably woiuld do them
in middle school too, at least for directions and cleanup purposes. I
learned a trick form an art teacher that has been around many years. She
makes a seating chart of the room and then after photocoping them, laminates
each sheet without any names attached yet. Then we cut very little
rectangles out of colored index cards, blue for girls and pink for girls or
whatever if you do not want to be stereotypical. Write the students names
on these little rectangles and then arrange these onto the chart, attaching
with a little peice of rolled tape. Sounds as if it takes for ever, and it
does. but the savings are felt the rest of the year. Every time you move a
student you just pick up that little tag and move it to a different spot.
It is great, I keep track of litlte sympols as to who has been table
captaoin with differnt colored pencils each time I do a rotation. For me
that is once every nine weeks. Table captains are the supply runners. I
also keep their work in table folders. I sit the students in groups of 4.
I give team points for super artist table, as well as super artist with my
little treat jar there for the winners. What they will do for a gummy bear!
Susan in Ohio