Re: Phone Interview

---------

GTBlack_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 13:39:42 PDT

I empathize with the people requesting a phone interview. There are too many
schools that play games when it comes to hiring.

A few years ago I was looking for a position. On 3 different occassions I
travelled to an interview, only to later find out they hired someone who was
pt or subbing in the district.... probably someone they already intended to
hire, but they had to make a show of opening the position and accepting
applications.

One of the jobs was 500 miles away and I was told my interview would be in 3
days. I paid double the regular airfare because of the short notice. By the
time you work in parking at the airport, rental car and a day off from work,
I figure that one interview cost me about $500. In the interview they asked
why I was willing to move so far for a teaching job (read: There must be
something wrong with you if you are this desperate).

Yeah, it is more impressive to show up in person. But when an interviewee
requests an initial phone interview they are testing the people doing the
hiring to see how serious they are considering you. If they have REALLY read
your resume and letters, think you may be qualified and really want to
consider you, they'll do it. If they aren't willing then you probably aren't
in the running..... some places are classy enough to offer a travel stipend.
Those are the ones that are serious about the interview.

From a hiring point of view I think it would be okay to do a preliminary
screening over the phone to narrow the list of candidates.... then require
your 'A' list of candidates to show up for a formal interview.

Geoff Black

In a message dated 6/25/01 12:09:24 PM, NMTchr@aol.com writes:

>I'm in the midst of interviewing folk to fill our 7th grade art position.
> Living in a art community we luckily have an abundance of applicants -
>the problem I'm running into is people requesting phone interviews.
>

>I'll be the first to admit the resumes are impressive and the letters of
>reference impecable, but is it too much to ask that applicants (physically)
>come in ? We live in a somewhat rural area but the tourists certainly
>manage to find us. I guess what I'm trying to vent is - if you're in the
>position of applying for a job it would really be impressive if you weren't
>just a voice on the other end of the line. SHOW UP!
>

>With all the discussion going on re: interviewing I just had to put my
>two-cents in. Thanks for listening!

---