seating

---------

From: Christine Sandeson (c.sandeson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 09:47:44 PDT

hi

like Ken, I have large high school art class numbers (34, 33, 30) and
teach out a shared "regular" room. I have 7 tables which seat 4 - 6
students. As students must sit on both sides of the table, "circle"
or "square" patterns are not ideal. Some of these students are
football-player size & book bags add to the crowding. I have
embarrassed myself on several occasions by tripping over them.

I have tried to configure tables in different ways and found the
radial arrangement with small supply table at the "hub" reduces
crowding when students are working on projects. However, this is not
good for demonstrations, or for "lecturing".

Some of the problem will be relieved when our new school is built
(sink and storage), but if numbers increase, we will be tripping over
ourselves again. "They" say that loss of control on the job is one
of the major causes of stress in the workplace.

Christene in Nova Scotia

---