on the plus side of seating charts

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 07:25:44 PDT

I have long term subbed art in a school with no seating charts....(as well
as no lesson plans) In defense of them.........it is REALLY unfair to
anyone coming in your room to have to do this. At the very minimum a
back-up plan is essential whether you need them or not. Oh sure.....all
the kids told me they had seats...etc. etc. You can imagine. Not a pretty
picture. Yes. I made seating charts by the third day....but all of this
didn't help me establish some sense of authority....and made life more
difficult than it had to be.

Oh...and at elementary I used to put all my grades on my seating charts and
change them out every 6 weeks. In this way they served as my grade book. I
recorded both art and conduct grades there. Very helpful with the 1500
grades that I needed to manage that often. lia

---