Re: Seating charts

---------

From: Curt James (Curt_James_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 20:54:01 PDT

Jayna wrote:

> A few posts lately have mentioned the use of seating
> charts to learn names. Does anyone else besides me
> absolutely loathe seating charts?

[snip]

I also loathe (putting it mildly) seating charts.

My students normally sat in the same seat each
day, so I believed it an unnecessary task.

Months ago, I saw a post by Woody Duncan
regarding a photo seating chart. I love that idea.
The Media Center at the middle school, where I
recently completed a long-term substitute position
as their only art teacher, has a photo album
with each student's name and photo (as well
as other faculty members) indicated. To help
my memorization attempts, I'd review the
photo book often.

I'd also call roll at the beginning of each class.
After calling roll, I'd hand back student artwork
and say the student's name as I gave their
painting or drawing to them. This repetition
and review worked wonderfully for me and I was
able to memorize all their names (and then forget
their names periodically, of course).

I told the students that if I got their name wrong
that they should call me "Mr. Smith" and they
very happily followed through on that request.

"Okay, Mr. Smith!" Bingo. I'd know immediately
that I had fouled up.

My intent was to memorize each student's name as
well as pronounce their name correctly. I made it
clear to them that I hate it, "when people mess up
or mispronounce my name and so if I mess up your
name, please correct me."

The students truly responded to my sincere comments
that how they felt was important to me. I don't want
to make anyone feel "less," or unknown.

Likewise, I certainly don't want to make anyone
who reads this list or my messages/posts
feel less important or disrespected.

Recently I wrote the word, "Hogwash," in a post
artwork.

Now, it is certainly my opinion that there is
no such thing as "B" level artwork. Opinions on
what makes "good" art vary so immensely that
I believe strongly in non-gradedness.

OTOH, I'm a realist and therefore believe in
using Rubrics and having certain standards
or requirements as part of the educational process.

Finally, as part of the social process, I also believe
that respect is a vital component, and so if I made
anyone feel uncomfortable or slighted by calling
their viewpoint "hogwash," allow me to offer
my sincere apology.

(Having said that, and meaning it truthfully,
don't leave your display cases unattended because
I absolutely *will* hang my students' artwork -
A, B, C, and D - in there if you blink! :-)~)

Regards,
Curt

---