Re: artsednet digest: June 23, 2001

---------

From: Robert Teslow (rteslow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 20:29:37 PDT

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
> The
>difference of course is that the private schools seem to have an
>atmosphere of
>community, intellectualism, professionalism, respect -- and of course
>class size
>is between 12 and 15 students -- plus a significant supply budget (that
>range has
>been between $3,000 - and $10,000)...

I've been teaching in a private day school for 32 years. My starting
salary was $6,000.00 which was about 10-20% lower than public. My current
salary remains approxiamtely at the same percentage lower than the public
sector in my area. Benefits are lower as well.

You may have missed one important considertion. Students most usually are
testing in to private schools, want to be there for educational purposes,
and are ususally motivataead by the love of learning.They are also taking
Arts courses as elective studies. Don't get me wrong, public schools are
doing excellent work, but are the Arts supported as an integral part of
Liberal Arts education in the public sector? Again yes, in many instances
it is, yet with 25 students in a studio as compared to 15 or fewer I
would find it extremely difficult to maintain the "spirit" (Art Spirit,
Robert Henri).

Any educator will tell you that teaching is a draining occupation,
mentally, physically, and professionally. But I do like waking up every
morning knowing that I am going to be intellectually challenged by bright
students and be in an atmosphere of faculty that feel the same way, many
of them having served as long as I have at the same school.

Bottom line; what is your motivation for teaching? If you want the cash go
public.In either sector good educators will make a difference, especially
in secondary education. Keep your job in the higher ed., continue you
writing and exhibition and make a difference where ever you end up.

If you are married, have children, or are a custodial parent, consider if
the private school waives tuition for faculty dependents. This is a nice
option if that is what you want for your own children. This could be
another "bargaining" card in salary negotiations.

Let us know what you decide.

Good Luck!

---