Re: coaching and a lost 60 minutes segment

---------

From: felsecker1 (felsecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 20:04:21 PDT

Hi Karen!
I used to play tennis in a ladies league before I began teaching...we'd even play ladies from other cities, sometimes traveling 1-1/2 hours one way. I really have no time to competitively play anymore. With teaching full-time during the school year, trying to get my master's, and coaching...it takes everything I have to do that. Most weekday nites I don't get to bed until 12 or so primarily due to having to prepare and grade papers from my "other" subject I teach and that's Consumer Ed. I teach primarily Art, but Con.Ed. is VERY time-consuming and generates a ton of work.
I did go to a tennis clinic in Lincolnshire, IL-near Chicago (and I teach at the high school level in western Illinois) in Jan. of this year and it was quite interesting. They held clinics and the Nick Boletteri Academy (from Florida) had a spokesperson there that was quite informative....he even said that Jennifer Caprioti wouldn't make it among the top current women players. Boy, was he wrong!!! She's doing GREAT and I'm so excited for her! (We saw her play Martina Navratilova at Hilton Head when she was just 14!!) Interestingly enough, I began coaching as an assistant also. Then the head coach decided to retire from coaching and stick to his teaching job...and I couldn't abandon the girls, so they got me....and I really love it! Most of the players are really focused academically so we never have had any problems with poor grades or anything like that. Going to State was so exciting and we're hoping to do as well and better this year!
If I can answer any more questions, please let me know and.........GOOD LUCK!
Hope you can get back into it soon!
Barb F.