Attention Tech Gurus -- About hacking?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 12:50:37 PDT

Questions (please post answers to #1 and #2 to the list):

1. What is the best software to protect your home computer system?

2. How can you track down the source of the attack when you have the
numbers?

3. This one is for Hackers only: IF you are a member of this list (just for
kicks) Why are you selecting my computer to hack?
I am not that important. You can have more fun elsewhere. Hackers may e-mail
offlist mailto:Jdecker@woh.rr.com Hackers, I am keeping track of the numbers
and the frequency of your attacks.We will prosecute if necessary--After all
hacking is illegal. Nothing I do with my computer -- or files is illegal.

And now for my Getty folks who are still reading:

I have succeeded in wasting several hours trying to find an explanation to
how folks hack into one's personal computer and trying to find how one can
successfully prevent it. I was also looking to find out how you track down
the source of the intruder...and IF there is anything you can do once you
find out WHO is doing the hacking....(I even tried my new seach
engines ---but any good search needs the right phrase --and I obviously
didn't have it).

This is what I found....Many--many sites telling me how to hack --offering
the codes/files/zips etc for getting into someone's system---what you do
once you are there...what kind of files you download into their system to
sabotage...how to get through the back door..how to break through
firewalls...Step-by step instructions....You get my drift.

I want to find out the BEST software out there to protect my/our system from
hackers. We bought one --- but I don't know if it is enough--I want to know
what else is out there so I/we can compare. Just since we installed this --
we have had three attacks that set off a shrill siren......I am assuming
that had to be a real attack I have the ID numbers and they are different
from any other numbers that are listed as "suspicious" (the first time I
really jumped)

Well---that explains partly why I didn't go into school yet---but will go
shortly...I have been "talking" to List friends and got another attack...and
now it's starting to really irritate me (well, I guess I can vent about this
to the list)...Just what is the thrill of screwing up someone else's
machine? Is reading my files and mail that important?

Hackers and friends may email Jdecker@woh.rr.com with answers.

Judith

---