Re: Classroom setup: Rows vs Groups

---------

From: The Osbornes (gosborne_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 10:14:59 PDT

>> I think I'll start out with the rows and loosen up the arrangement as the
year goes on.<<

I teach high school video production and arrange my tables differently on a
regular basis.
I generally start out with rows, and move them into small groups of 2-3
tables, depending on the
nature of the assignment. I have also used the horseshoe layout if I am
doing a lecture...
I utilize powerpoint on a screen for all my presentations and generally move
the table back to screen viewing position when
presenting a topic or assignment.. This arrangement also helps keep the
high-school chat down...

As you all know, the kids slowly group into their friends tables if you let
them, so I generally keep the talkers away from each other. They hate that,
and know I am tired of them talking when I do that.....It works....even at
high school.

I love the reaction of even the high school kids when they come in and see
the desks moved around....
Sometimes I will make up a stack of topic specific vocabluary cards that I
hand out as the kids come in the door, they have to match up the card with
the appropriate answer. That determines their seating arrangement for the
day or week, depending on the topic. I have also used, films names, actors,
directors etc. the kids have to match up. The kids like this and it's a nice
ice breaker also, which leads into further discussion and also prompts the
kids to talk with each other to figure out the answers....

I have a 1/2 day to go till summer..
We dont get out until tomorrow....

Regards,
G. Osborne