High School Curriculum -- web site (banner question)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 07:51:50 PDT

Marian just proved my theory...even the best search engine doesn't find
every good site. She sent the following one to me:

Wheaton High School Art site ---the web art classroom. Here you can join the
students of Wheaton High School, Wheaton, Minnesota learn the basics of art:
This includes the visual and design elements, how to draw and paint, how to
use pattern. You will find many assignments that teach art skills.
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/literary/431/index.html

One questions for you folks:
Does anyone know how to disable the annoying advertising banners that pop
up? This site has several that pop up. Sometimes three at a time!...My
kiddies don't seem to figure out that you have to close those little windows
out (I guess that is because I have told them NOT to click on banner
adds --because they usually take them OUT of the site we are using)....Is
there a way to block those? to keep them from opening? I try not to use too
many sites with them that have those so we don't lock our machines up by
having so many windows open. Get several of those open along with the main
page and our machines freeze.

One word of caution:
I noticed this was a Fortune City site....I found one very good Fortune City
site that I can not use with kids --won't even link to it even though the
information would be helpful. One of the pages has an appealing Fortune City
banner on it (said Gallery 1, Gallery2, Gallery 3 at the top). I clicked on
the banner like kids sometimes do (it did say gallery on it after all). The
banner went to a pornography site!!! I let the web page authors know how
much I enjoyed their site....that I wished I could use it with kids -but
will not take the risk.

When you visit sites...be sure to experiment and do the things you think the
kids might do....You learn a lot about what sites NOT to use. My son
laughed and laughed when I told him about one that brought up pornography
pop-up windows one after the other (I thought is was going to be an
legitimate art site!)---I just had to shut the whole machine off!

Phew....long winded today...but you get the gist of it.

Thanks Marian. I had fun checking this out.....It is a good one! Please post
any other ones you folks have found ---This is in response to an inquiry the
other day for Art High School Curriculum sites.

Judith D.

---