Re: Getting tenure and getting what you want

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 04:55:26 PDT

In a message dated 06/23/2001 8:02:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
PrimaryE@aol.com writes:

> So my advice to all you new teachers is to get your tenure. I can't wait
> until next year. One of the assistant principal's son was in my class this
> year and told his dad that my room was much too cramped. I guess that made
> them open their eyes. Of course I let it be known this year that my job
> was
> difficult with the small quarters. I never asked for a larger room....just
> let them know my situation. Sometimes you have to speak up for yourself.
> Nobody else will.

Eileen, I agree! I'm working on an art aide. Waited until I got my tenture
after 2 years in my new district. I started the job without one, by the
second year had an aide for one hour a day and this year increased to 2 hours
a day. In my elementary school the computer teacher and the librarian both
have full-time aides, so why not the art teacher? Is art any less important,
or the kids any less needy, in my art class? However, I waited until I was
approved for tenture. In NY, the district has the option of giving tenture
after only two years, not three, if the teacher has already received tenture
in another NY district. They graciously offered me tenture after two, and
then I graciously asked for an aide! LOL....
Susan on Long Island

---