Jim Dine--A different sort of "self portrait"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 19:22:58 PDT

A dear list friend of mine got me interested in the art of Jim Dine...Just
in doing some web searches (using my "new toy" http://vivisimo.com/ ) I
have come up with all sorts of lesson ideas from sculpture--to painting--to
printmaking. As I was looking at his prints of robes, I thought to myself
"Hmmm..A self portrait --identity....kids could do portraits of themselves
in their favorite clothing --just the clothes - no face"...and lo-and-
behold...Wouldn't you know --just a few clicks away is Jim Dine's
"Self-Portrait" Robe -- an unusual mixed media (I guess he had the same
idea....what do you think?).

Lessons with heart images is a given....monoprints (all printmaking
methods)...paintings...mixed media...even sculpture...(Someone may have the
links that were posted to the list in January or February about Jim Dine).

Interdisciplinary lesson with health --The human skeleton ...Boys would even
like doing the human skull....I found some really spooky prints....cool
stuff. We have a human skeleton in our heath room. I think "Herman" would
like to visit the art room (that's the skeleton's name because they don't
know if it is male or female..I guess someone could tell them to check the
pelvic bone area?).

Lessons on "Identity" (there was a very interesting Jim Dine exhibit on this
topic). This might even be a good theme for a Comprehensive Arts unit (I
will share that with the city schools director).

Jim Dine was born in Ohio....went to Ohio University....After I discovered
that , I decided I wanted to do a unit about him after all...now I can't
figure out just what because I have too many ideas....I just love coming up
with ideas by looking at what other artists have done. I found several other
artists along the way in my Jim Dine "travels"and made some folders for them
with some images saved...to find some more on another day. (And now the real
funny part...He looks a little like my husband - hubby has a wee bit more
hair and doesn't have a full beard anymore, though)

Happy surfing.Enjoy the ride!

Judith

P.S. This list friend and I are doing some "collaboration". She is sending
me some images she found...and I am sending her some images I found. It is
great to have research assistants! New folks--watch what kinds of things
other members are interested in ...and go with it....You can really cut down
your work time by sharing.
I attended many workshops on DBAE....In every one I learned all about
"collaboration"...Well, it never happened until I joined this list!

---