RE: Purple house

---------

From: Jones, Jessica (jonesja_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 16:33:05 PDT

Here in San Antonio we had our very own purple house controversy a few years
ago. Author Sandra Cisneros lives in a historic neighborhood called Baja
King William and she painted her late 19th century bungalow purple, in
homage to Tejano traditions. What a tempest she created!!! The historic
design counsel was in a tizzy (SA is VERY conservative), they felt her house
was just to colorful for their sedate, gentrified neighborhood. The
official excuse was the colors she selected were not historically accurate
or representative of the time in which her house was built. Fortunately Ms.
Cisneros stood up these people, and although she had to repaint her house
she was allowed to use bright colors, albeit historically accurate bright
colors!
By the way, the house was BEAUTIFUL, in all it's purple glory!