drive for fun

---------

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 15:12:59 PDT

Here are the ideas people shared with me about where a mom and preschooler
(or other aged kid) can drive together...and things to do when they get
"there".... Thanks for helping think up ideas!! This was fun.
        MaryAnn
    maryann@brightring.com

go to a different park every week during the nice weather. Nobody could
understand why I would drive so far to go to a park when there were some in
the neighborhood but we did it just
for the adventure and a change of scenery.
Barb

Drive through an area of your town or city. Note or draw unusual forms of
architecture such as, dentiles, gingerbread, stained glass, window
decorations, designs in the brick, etc. Victorian houses are great for this.

Drive to an old cemetery. Look for very old or unusual headstones. Do
tracings.
    Charlotte Scott
second grade list

How about some sort of "reverse scavenger hunt". Have students make
projects, write letters, postcards, simple pictures, etc. and have a
designated place to "deposit" them. Cooperative places could be arranged
ahead of time (for safety and courtesy reasons) and it would get families
involved in creating the projects and delivering them together.
    Cheryl denosky
Teachers Net

An ongoing list I currently have:
Children's Museum
A Local Pond (Discuss pond life!)
Farm
Orchard
Museums
Craft fairs
Library (especially during a story time set up by library)
Bookstores (some have reading/craft times..such as Borders, Zany Brainy,
etc).
We have a very cool restaurant called "The Rain Forest Cafe" nearby...food
is not very "Preschooler appealing" but the environment is unbelievable!)
    Cheryl Hatch
ECENET-L

Get so books bt tape from the library. That was always good around 3:00 when
there was still driving to do. Gail Gail1611@aol.com
artsednet

bake dog biscuits for the ASPCA
    Itsme

cookies for the senior center or nursing home
    Itsme

instead of a pizza restaurant -- go into the restaurant's kitchen and make a
pizza
    Itsme

take a train ride
    Itsme

Depends on where you live. In NC, I would take my kids to the library,
Playspace, Museum of Life & Science (especially where they have hands on
experiences), Asheville Zoo or the Wake Forest Petting Zoo, a farm to watch
how we get milk from the cows, Krispy Kreme to see doughnuts in the making,
Hill Ridge Farm to pick our pumpkins or strawberries... the possibilities
are endless.
    Lara Siffer
ECENET-L

Drive to an airport. Ride the escalator, ride the underground train, call
ahead to meet a pilot or walk onboard a plane.
maryann kohl

Picnic Basket Drive: Plan a picnic. Let your preschooler help shop for the
necessary ingredients of choice: grapes, peanut butter and jelly, box juice,
whatever it takes. Pack a real basket for the picnic. Look at a map of local
recreational sites. Choose one together. Drive there, and have a nice
picnic. Bring along a ball or other favorite outdoor toy.
maryann kohl

Drive to the hospital and go to the maternity ward and give gifts to
newborns. Read to those in the pediatric ward or schedule a time to teach
them a simple craft, or bring them balloons for their rooms.
Volunteer at the Salvation Army for an afternoon.
Plant flowers in a cemetery or outside of a mursing home or church.
    Monica p
Teachers Net

How about driving to a senior citizen facility? Some children do not live
near or do not have grandparents and the intergenerational activities are
endless...craft project, story telling, bubble blowing, singing, etc.
Everyone benefits!
    Preschool Teacher

My 4.5yr old daughter and I frequently go on
statue hunts. We hunt for any statues that we haven't seen before, and draw
them. She carries a clipboard and sharpie marker everywhere.
    Rebecca
<ArtsEducators@yahoogroups.com>

Visit a Butterfly Garden. (There are lots of types of gardens, but all ages
are fascinated with butterfly gardens!)
    Sarah Hilton
Kindergarten Educator

Visit a Costume Shop. (This can be a seasonal [Halloween] idea...or a rainy
day idea.) Take your child and explore. Let them try on several costumes.
Agree on one to rent and take home for the day.
    Sarah Hilton
Kindergarten Educator

Give child maps and compasses and highlighters and binoculars and anything
else you think would be appropriate. Let him use the map to decide which
directions we should turn.You ask him: "left, right or straight?" He could
choose and then drive in that direction until the next stop light or dead
end or whatever. There is no plan or destination in mind, but something
interesting or fun will turn up.
Katharine

  ~ MaryAnn F. Kohl ~
maryann@brightring.com