parents supporting arts programs

---------

From: holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 03:55:06 PDT

Great story, Bunki--thank goodness for supportive parents! In mu
district, we have one full time elemtary art teacher (me), and a
part-time position. Last year we had huge budget cuts in out district,
and the part-time position was cut. I was going to have to teach all the
art, grades 1-5; about 900 students. It meant eliminating art from some
grades/s, or having art for all grades, but for only a portion of the
year--or some other idea we had yet to come up with. What happened was
that a parent volunteered to fund the part-time position. It is a .5
position--a big bundle of money! They are funding it again this year.
It's great, although I do have mixed feelings about having a parent doing
this, rather than the district.......

Mary H.

>Parents met/organized to form an elective
>Booster's Club to "buy" some electives...two of which are 6th grade art
>classes...so NOW I'll be teaching 1 math and 5 art!!!! Yay!!!!!! That's
>quite an honor for me from the parents because I'm not cheap due to my
>experience.

---