Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: private school salaries

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 06:24:35 PDT

Private school art teachers in my area (Hotchkiss, Salisbury, Kent) are paid
less, in general, than us public school teachers, but they get free room and
board for their families. Nice apartments and houses, too. Great food, which
compares in quality to that found in fine restaurants. Also, their families
and guests have free use of the golf courses, swimming pools, lake beaches
with sailboats, etc., free use of the rinks, courts, etc. and many other
amenities. They do, however, tend to have more duty time as sporting coaches
and dorm parents. Many private school faculty in my area buy off-campus
houses while working, then rent them out, so they don't have to leave the
area when they retire. The art studios are superbly equipped, with the best
and the brightest students grouped with small class sizes. At the private
schools around here, you're rubbing shoulders with the movers and shakers of
the world, and invitations to professional and pleasurable opportunities
abound. How much is all this worth to you?