Re: Classroom setup: Rows vs Groups

---------

From: Jude & Frank (JGROCHOWSKI_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 06:07:45 PDT

Hi Joe,
    At the risk of being repetitive here, I'll throw in my 2 cents...I teach HS 3D courses and our tables are about 4x5 (?never measured) and 4 students fit well. I try to set the arrangement so that if I need to be at the board explaining something, there are few students who need to turn around to watch me. Also, I try to 'see' the board from their angle-which is sometimes pretty drastic, depending upon where they are sitting-some tables are sorta parallel to the board-when I'm giving notes, etc. I might invite those students to move to a better location during that time. I can't do much rearranging within the space-it is limiting-and I share it with 2 other teachers. But I'd agree the key is classroom management-having a beginning point where they're seated and quite so you can give instruction, see who's absent, etc. Depending upon the assignment, a certain level of conversation is fine with me....and my seating strategy is to try-if there is enough variety-to put one kid from each grade level at the table-2 boys and 2 girls-if I have a noisy underclassman they get put at a table with older students of the opposite gender.....I, (like Bunki) eventually move my talkers to the 4 corners of the room.
Maybe more information than you wanted! Hope this helps!
Judy Gro
  I really don't like this set up because I like
  the students to interact with each other, but I am finding more interacting
  and less creating. Does any one have any ideas?

---