Re: displaying B work......

---------

lin_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 18:18:52 PDT

The landscape was a variation of something I read from this list, of
course! I did it with fourth grade, but it would work for older and
younger.

I used large paper of an odd size that I happened to have on hand. I
knew we would be cropping the finished pieces down a good bit.

First, I had the students look at landscapes and discuss foreground,
middle ground and background. They also looked at different sky
treatments by artists like Van Gogh. At the next class we used tempera
paint and cotton balls and created several skies on strips of paper
approximately 6 inches high and 24 inches wide. They learned the
technique for painting wet on wet and used the cotton balls to dab away
paint to create clouds.

The next class, we chose colors for the mountains and painted wet on
dry. We didn't paint mountain shapes, just filled the strip (6" by 24")
with color. We did at least two each. One with a more purple color and
one with green/blue color.

Finally, the kids worked on the same size strips to create dry on dry
foreground colors. Some chose to paint in flowers, etc. but were
encouraged not to show a lot of detail.
They pasted down the sky of their choice first, then tore mountain
shapes and pasted them down. Last, they pasted the foreground. They
turned out beautifully and the kids were thrilled with how nice they
looked. We trimmed them down so all the edges worked and the kids could
have more freedom pasting them down how they wanted.

Since this was the last project of the year, I didn't get a chance to
post them to our web site. I hope all this made sense. If you want to
see an example, email me off the list and I'll attach an example.

Lin
lin@altmanink.com

RobinMCP@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Lin-
>
> Would you please share that landscape project? It sounds like a
> winner!
> Thanks!
> Robin in PA ---
> leave-artsednet-5780X@lists.getty.edu