Re: Help-lost the interview questions!

---------

From: The Whites (bolide_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 15:34:35 PDT

Here are some more that Pat sent
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Iteachart7@aol.com
  To: ArtsEdNet Talk
  Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 12:08 PM
  Subject: Help-lost the interview questions!

  It's looks like everybody is giving you ideas of what to be able to answer.
  Here are some questions to post to the interviewer (oh, and take notes!):

  1. How much is the art budget?

  2. How big is the class size (be sure to ask for biggest!)

  3. How many students will I be serving? (example: if elementary are you
  going to see every student k-6? K-3? 3-6? If High School is every freshman
  required to take Art I?

  4. Be sure to see the room. If they don't show you the room a BIG RED FLAG
  should go up as either A) the room is small and outdated or B) you are art
  on a cart -- there are plenty of people on the list who can tell you what
  THAT is like.

  5. When you see the room BE NOSY! Go through the drawers and cupboards to
  see what is there and what condition it is in. You might get what you think
  is a large budget, but if you have to replace everything in the room, it
  will go fast.

  6. Ask about the discipline policy. I have run into too many principals who
  do not enforce discipline. Ask questions about typical problems and how you
  should handle them. (some want students in the office, others want you to
  handle everything)

  Now, if you're feeling nervy, then do some quick math and figure out the per
  pupil amount you are getting for a budget. If it is an insult, put it back
  to them. Ask them how they expect you to have a high quality program with a
  low quality budget. If you don't feel like putting it back to them, do the
  math at home and ask yourself if you can teach with that budget, conditions,
  etc.

  Also, some questions that you might not think to ask...

  6. Are you going to be required to perform any extra duties? New teachers
  get hid hardest with this. Everything from lunch or bus duty, to class
  sponsor and Prom planner. If so, are you going to receive a stipend for
  performing them?

  7. Does the district pay for continuing education? Believe it or not some
  schools will pay for a teacher to get a Masters degree. They have this weird
  idea that a better educated teacher makes a better teacher.

  8. How many hours per year continuing education does the district require?
  If it is a small district, the school will probably plan something for every
  teacher to do together. Bigger districts allow teachers to make some
  choices.

  9. Are there any contests or exhibits that you are REQUIRED to enter student
  art in? Examples: Scholastic or Youth Art Month.

  10. When finished with the interview sign and date the notes you took. If
  you want, have the interviewer sign and date it as well. This comes in handy
  later on if they try to change anything they told you in the interview. (big
  one? budget--they'll cut you any chance they get--if they try and you are in
  high school get the public records for how much money is spent on the
  football program (you'll be surprised at how much this is!--I taught at a
  school that played six man football and spent $100,000 a year WATERING THE
  FOOTBALL FIELD--and ask what percentage they are cutting of this funding
  (this always throws them for a loop).

  This is all I can think of off the top of my head. I know it kind of
  rambled... sorry. Bottom line, show some incentive and stand up for your
  program. If they take offense at you being strong willed and wanting
  students to perform with high expectations, then you don't want to be
  working for that school.

  Pat

---