Re: supply person ideas

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 15:22:52 PDT

I have a system that works well, but it's loose in the selection of
volunteers.

Classes are arranged 4 or 5 to a table, with 5 tables. No seating charts. No
assigned seats...shat is, unless there is a problem. Last year I moved a few
kids if they needed more than two behavior warnings, but usually there is no
need for assigned seats. I'm sure I usually have very few behavior problems
in class because on the first day I tell them that I don't like seating
charts and they won't like me if they force me to use them.

For passing out and collecting stuff, I keep it simple. I have the same
person collect the materials at cleanup time that had passed out initially.
The person who passes out water containers and brushes collects them. The
paper passer will collect artwork at cleanup. One advantage is that they
will be sure to know where the stuff goes and how neat it should be. I wash
brushes myself.

To select the workers I just ask "who's been a worker in the last three
classes?" and then I select those who don't raise their hands and are
sitting quietly. I've found they're usually honest. This is 1-8. In PreK and
K classes I pass out and collect materials myself.

Hope this helps.