supply person ideas

---------

From: holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 06:31:03 PDT

Hi Liz,

I used to to choose "art helpers" to get supplies, etc.--different person
every week, kept track on a seating chart, etc. etc. The organization
(for 25 classes a week) began to feel like so much work, that I just quit
doing it. My students sit at 5 tables--there are 4 to 5 students at each
table. I tell them they are a team at each table, and it is their job to
work together as a team to get the supplies for their table, etc. (I
teach 1-4th grade art.) I tell the class something like, "you will need
to send one student to get a brush for each person at your table, one
person needs to get the water containers, one person needs to get a paper
towel for everyone at your table." Then the students need to work
together to decide who gets what. It has worked very well, and I feel it
is also good experience in having them learn to work together
cooperatively. I have basically discarded all the "reward" systems I used
to use, and focus on the fact that this is our art studio, we need to
treat each other respectfully, work together cooperatively, etc. etc. How
I set it up at the beginning of the year is another story, (we are into
using control theory/reality therapy at our school--among other
things,each class puts together a social contract with their class at the
beginning of the year, which they help create. Rather than "art room
Rules", I post "Art Room Belefs") Anyway--so far it works great.

Mary H.

>Hi all --
>Does anyone have any suggestions for choosing supply people in an elementary
>classroom?

---