Re: Classroom setup: Rows vs Groups

---------

From: Aust ArtClasses (austart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 12:08:24 PDT

Joe,

Learning your students is the key. I have finally convinced my school to
allow us to have Art I student all year as opposed to students switching
to another art teacher mid year. I still, like you, prefer the group
thing. There is no easy out, it all comes down to classroom management
and your expectations. I am constantly changing students to other
groupings. I have found this, putting the talkers all at one table and up
front, works for me. I have contacted parents, told them that it is
unfair for me to punish the listeners by placing them next to the talkers.
 So, I group them in one place, would you believe that noise level is
down, they still talk, but I dont repeat the instructions. Parents have
backed me so far. I do sometimes group the talkers at tables of NERDS (
and I say that totally from public reference, not mine). Great
friendships have begun. I am also fortunate to have a mini classroom of
my classroom. Boy, when they are totally isolated from others, again with
parent permission.

I do not like the row situation, too plain-jane to me. I have even
thought about trying the "chinese firedrill " approach, let's grab a desk
and place it somewhere. If I do this, I will give it to the first 1/3 who
get to class on time.

Hey, I don't have the answers, just trying to try new things. Keep the
students wondering.

Jackie Aust
Bryan Texas
austart@bryanisd.org