Re: displaying B work......

---------

gregjuli_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 10:21:18 PDT

UnclmonkEE@aol.com wrote:

> If art is purely in the eye of the beholder, does that not undermine our
> authority as art teachers to fairly evaluate a student's work?

To Unclmonkee and all
Oh no no no nono ! At least in my humble opinion. Yes a certain part of the art
from students can be considered subjective, but we all still have certain criteria
that has to be met. And that criteria is helpful to the students in their
learning process and lends what credibility we need to appease the
administrators. For example if you are teaching about analogous colors and they
are required to use that color plan and a student goes ahead and just does what he
wants . I feel that would affect a grade. Occasionally if a student has an idea
that she is excited to do that is outside the lesson requirements , we'll discuss
it and give it a try. I hate to stop creative excitement. But that is with
approval to work around the criteria.
MaryB

---