RE: Classroom setup: Rows vs Groups

---------

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 09:47:08 PDT

I work with elementary students. Going into other teachersí classrooms this
past year, I found groups to be very distracting. The kids were talking,
sometimes fighting over what supplies belong to whom or who made what mess.
Of course they only get art for a few weeks out of the year, so the Museum
Ladies coming in to do special projects created lots of excitement.

I want a set up so that when Iím giving direct instruction, they do not have
to twist around to see me. What Iím planning on doing in my classroom this
year is to have rows set up so that groups can easily be made by turning the
desks. Iím going to have two desk with a space (not a walking space just a
space) between them then an aisle then two desks with space and so on so
that the two sides of a column can turn their desks in and push them
together to make a group for group work. Of course this is a GT classroom,
not an art studio so it might not apply.
It will sort of look like this (if the formatting holds up.)

D D D D D D D D

If you do use groups please remember us poor lefties and take that into
consideration when creating seating assignments. (Why is it always the lefty
that gets blamed when they bump elbows with right-handers)?

Kimberly (kimberly@wcc.net)
5 Ĺ days of work left and then I can really get into lesson planning and
packing.